Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd is one of Kevin Ridgway’s favorite things about lacrosse and he is looking forward to getting in front of the Ohio home crowd as part of the new expansion team, the Ohio Machine.
Kevin began his MLL career after being selected in the third round (18th Overall Pick) of the 2011 MLL Collegiate Draft by the Hamilton Nationals, where he played nine games, including the 2011 MLL Championship game. Before joining the Nationals, Kevin started making a name for himself in the lacrosse world while attending Notre Dame from 2007 to 2011. While attending Notre Dame, Kevin was a two-time captain and named First Team All-American, First Team All-Big East Preseason Team, Inside Lacrosse Preseason First Team All-American, All-Big East Preseason Team and USILA Honorable Mention All-American.
Now Kevin is bringing his talents to the Machine and can’t wait to get on the field with the support of the home crowd behind him.
“I think one of the things I am looking forward to most this season has to do with the buzz that has been created about the Machine for this summer. From what I have seen fans are extremely excited to have us playing in Ohio, so I can’t wait to get out there and compete in front of a boisterous home crowd. When you have great support behind you, it makes games that much more fun. I love playing in an atmosphere where it’s loud, people are having a good time, and they genuinely care how well you perform on the field. Personally, it gives me that little extra edge and I can’t wait to experience that this summer playing for the Machine,” said Kevin.
1. What made you choose lacrosse over all the other sports out there?
It came down to what sport gave me the best opportunity to play for a big time program/school.
2. When you were little, did you expect to be one of the best players in the world?
I never really thought about it. It has dawned on me every year I play of how lucky I am to be here.
3. What is some advice you would give to those youth players hoping to make it to MLL status one day?
Work hard and enjoy it. Also play other sports in addition to lacrosse. So much of what I have learned and put to use in lacrosse came from playing other sports growing up.
4. Why do you love lacrosse?
It is the ultimate team sport that can be played so many different ways to achieve success.
5. Who has been your favorite person to work with up to this point in your career?
Gerry Byrne and Brodie Merrill. Also Colin Igoe from Notre Dame – he’s an Ohio native and a legend.
6. What has been your favorite moment in your pro lacrosse career so far?
It has to be Championship Weekend playing through the hurricane last year. The conditions were hilariously terrible but it made the game fun because you never play in weather like that!
7. What is one thing that you try to improve on with your playing style?
Being more confrontational while balancing my strengths and the way I know how to play.
8. What are your thoughts on being part of the Ohio Machine inaugural season?
I am really excited! Ohio is quickly becoming a lacrosse-crazy place. You can tell how excited everyone is in the area and I hope we can take that excitement and translate it onto the field and into wins.
9. What are you looking forward to the most this upcoming season?
I’m looking forward to playing in a new city with a group of guys that I really haven’t met before. It should be fun when we all get out there together to compete for the thing: to win for a new program.
10. What is one thing you hope to get out of this upcoming season with the Machine?
11. How do you spend your offseason?
With friends and family, in the office, having fun and travelling.
12. Do you have any game day superstitions? If yes, what are they (if you care to share)?
I have to tie my cleats extremely tight!
13. What is your typical pregame meal?
14. How do you prepare for an upcoming game?
I just try to focus on what I have to do to play well. I get pretty quiet right before game time.
15. How do you categorize a season as successful?
You always want to win! I’ve been a goal away from both NCAA & MLL championships and I would love to win a championship.
16. Do you have any favorite restaurants in Columbus?
I’ve only been to Columbus once, so I’ve only seen it from my hotel room and from the field so I’m looking forward to finding a go-to spot when I’m in town.
17. Who is your favorite Columbus team, besides the Machine?
I was going to say the Cavaliers but since that is a Cleveland team, I would have to say the Crew for a Columbus team.
18.What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
“Separate who you are from what you do.”
19. What are three words that would describe who you are?
Outgoing, friendly and goofy.
Favorite sport outside of lacrosse: Basketball
Favorite part about lacrosse: The challenge of keeping your man/other team away from the goal
Favorite type of food: Mostly anything you put in front of me
Favorite restaurant: Ruth Chris
Favorite place in the world you’ve been to: Florence, Italy
Favorite place you would like to visit but haven’t: Australia/New Zealand
Favorite lacrosse moment/experience: Playing in the National Championship game in 2010
Most influential person in your life: Parents
Top 3 favorite movies: Caddyshack, Gladiator and McGruber
Top 5 favorite bands/artists: Can’t really rank them!
One thing you want to do but never done before: Go skydiving!