3/14/13 9:10 AM
After the 2013 MLL Supplemental Draft, the Machine added 12 talented players to its already bolstered roster including University of Massachusetts alum and midfielder Anthony Toresco, the Machine’s ninth round draft pick and 65th overall.
Toresco has been known as a face-off specialist since he first began high school. He attended Hunterdon Central Regional High School where he won 67 percent of his face-offs, scored 49 goals and had three assists that helped lead his team to win three state championships. During his senior year, Toresco received an All-State Honorable Mention.
After high school, Toresco joined the University of Massachusetts Minutemen and continued his face-off legacy. He made his largest statement during his senior year with the 2012 regular season undefeated team. Toresco led the team in groundballs with 78 and was 20th in the NCAA in groundballs per game (4.88). He was also ranked first in the CAA and fifth in the NCAA in face-off wins percentage.
1. What made you choose lacrosse over all the other sports out there?
The opportunity to play at the Division 1 level in college and the fast pace and excitement of the game were the reasons I stuck with lacrosse.
2. When you were little, did you expect to play at the MLL level?
It has always been a dream and goal of mine to play in the MLL, which I always aimed to reach. It’s an honor to be able to play at the highest level possible.
3. What is some advice you would give to those youth players hoping to make it to MLL status one day?
Work hard to get better every day.
4. Who has been your favorite person to work with up to this point in your lacrosse career?
My college coach Coach Cannella because he taught me so much about the game and is a great coach.
5. Who is your lacrosse role model?
My older brother Matt who broke his neck while playing at Ohio State which ended his career. He has always been my biggest supporter and I’ve always looked up to him and in a way, play for him since he can no longer play.
6. What is one thing that you try to improve on with your playing style?
I am constantly trying to improve my face-off abilities but I also enjoy trying to improve my shot.
7. What are you looking forward to the most in the 2013 season?
I am looking forward to getting to know the rest of the Machine and playing against the best of the best.
8. How do you usually spend your offseason?
Hanging down at the Jersey shore or playing golf.
9. Do you have any game day superstitions?
I typically listen to the same game day playlist every game.
10. What is your typical pregame meal?
Chicken parm and spaghetti.
11. How do you prepare for an upcoming game?
Watch film on my opponents and just concentrate on my face-off abilities.
12. How do you categorize a season as successful?
Achieving personal and team goals set prior to the season.
13. What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
Be the best every day.
14. What are three words that would describe who you are?
Energetic, determined, dedicated
Additional Random Facts:
Favorite sport outside of lacrosse: Football
Favorite part about lacrosse: scoring a goal off a faceoff
Favorite type of food: Italian
Favorite restaurant: Chipotle
Favorite place in the world you’ve been to: Bahamas
Favorite place you would like to visit but haven’t: My brother in Hong Kong
Favorite lacrosse moment/experience: Winning the CAA Tournament at home on Garber Field
Most influential person in your life:My dad
Top 3 favorite movies: Shaw Shank Redemption, Rudy, Green Mile
Top 3 favorite bands/artists: Swedish House Mafia, Calvin Harris, Kenny Chesney
One thing you want to do but never done before: Skydive